These Cheesy Jalapeno Hush Puppies are deep-fried to golden perfection, made with a mouthwatering seasoned batter, a 2-year aged cheddar, fresh jalapenos and more. You’ll never make boring hush puppies again after trying these bite-sized flavor explosions!
Want to see how it’s done? We have the video right here!
- 1 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal, self-rising
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup buttermilk, or any liquid except water
- 2 tablespoon red onion, minced
- 1 head of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup smoked Canadian bacon, diced
- 2 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- Oil for deep frying, canola or peanut oil
- 1 Mix cornmeal, sugar, cajun seasoning, baking powder, and flour in a large bowl.
- 2 In a separate bowl add the eggs and whisk lightly, then add buttermilk, onion, bell pepper, Canadian bacon, garlic and chopped jalapenos and mix well.
- 3 Work into the dry mixture until well incorporated, then fold in the cheese.
- 4 With a melon scoop, drop scoopfuls of the mixture into hot oil, or in a cast iron skillet.
- 5 Deep fry until golden brown at a steady 350F. This should only take about 2 minutes or so.
- 6 Drain, and serve.