Get all the ooey-gooey goodness of a cheesy steak and potato meal squeezed into one deliciously crunchy-cheesy-meaty Slam Dunk!
March Madness brings out the “kid” in all of us, having us foraging for fun food to snack on with family, friends and other fans of our favorite teams as they fight their way – hopefully – into the Final Four.
Knowing that feverish fans need fueling, we’ve been busy scouting out snack sensations that will satisfy and satiate you with marvelous munchies throughout March Madness!
For the Cheesy Slam Dunks
- 8 ounces skirt steak
- 2 tablespoons Avocado oil
- 2 cups mashed potatoes, plain
- 4 ounces Neufchatel cheese
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 12 ounce package wonton wrappers
- Cooking spray (or oil)
For the Slam Dunk Dipping Sauce (optional)
- 3/4 cup Avocado mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup favorite steak sauce
- 1 teaspoon thyme, dried
For the Cheesy Slam Dunks
- 1 Preheat grill or broiler to 500 degrees. Drizzle steak with oil, then place steak over hottest place on grill. Cook, uncovered, for 1.5 minutes then carefully flip over and cook for 2 more minutes.
- 2 Remove to a warm plate and let rest. In a large bowl, using a fork, combine mashed potato with cheese, butter, garlic, shallot and pepper then set aside.
- 3 On a cutting board, using a sharp carving knife, thinly slice steak then chop into small pieces. Using blade of knife, scrape entire contents – drippings and all – into the potato mixture then fold in to evenly distribute meat.
- 4 On a flat surface, spread out wonton wrappers then place one heaping teaspoon of filling into the center of each wrapper.
- 5 Using a pastry brush dipped in water, wet the edges of each wrapper then close by either gathering the ends together on the top to resemble a large candy kiss, or fold in half to form a triangle or bend for a more rounded look, or simply roll into a mini egg roll, if so desired.
- 6 Preheat an oven to 400 degrees. Spray filled wontons generously with cooking spray then place on a baking sheet and place in the preheated oven and bake for 7 minutes.
- 7 Turn or flip wontons then return to oven and continue to bake until desired crispness is reached –about 5 to 7 minutes. Serve with dipping sauce below, if desired.
Alternate Cooking Methods:
- 1 FRY: Place a few inches of avocado oil in a 2 quart saucepan or Dutch oven and place over medium heat until it reaches 365 degrees. Working in batches so as not to crowd, fry wontons for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oil and drain on parchment or paper.
- 2 AIR FRYER: Place a few wontons in air fryer and set temperature to 400 degrees. Set timer for 9 minutes and start.
- 3 After 5 minutes, open the air fryer and rotate/turn wontons to cook evenly then return to cooking until desired crispness/browning is achieved, about 4 minutes, depending on air fryer.
For the Slam Dunk Dipping Sauce
- 1 In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, steak sauce, and thyme. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving alongside slam dunks. Makes approximately 12 servings per recipe.
- Calories 46
- Fat 1
- Sodium 67
- Potassium 58
- Magnesium 4
- Carbohydrates 5
- Fiber 0
- Sugar 0
- Protein 3