This dish is wonderful served with black beans and white rice!
Recipe adapted from Williams-Sonoma Collection Series, The Williams-Sonoma Collection: Roasting.
The natural oils present in chilies can burn your fingers (and your eyes, if you rub them), so it’s best to wear rubber or plastic gloves when handling the hotter ones. Trim away the stem end, cut the chili in half lengthwise, and strip out the seeds and ribs. Then slice, dice or mince as directed. If you choose not to wear gloves, remember not to touch your face until after you have washed your hands thoroughly with soap and hot water.
- 1 chicken, 3 to 3 1/2 pounds
- FOR THE SPICE RUB:
- 2 tablespoons sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 serrano chili, seeded and minced
- 3/4 cup chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 limes, sliced
- 1 Preheat an oven to 400 degrees F. Oil a heavy roasting pan just large enough to hold the chicken comfortably.
- 2 Rinse the chicken under cold running water, discarding the giblets, and pat dry with paper towels. Remove and discard any loose fat.
- 3 To make the spice rub, in a small bowl, combine the paprika, chili powder, thyme, garlic and chili and stir to blend.
- 4 Place the chicken, breast side up, in the prepared pan. Rub the spice rub all over the outside of the chicken. Roast until the leg joints move easily, the juices run clear when a thigh is pierced with a knife, and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of a thigh, away from the bone, registers 170 degrees F., 50 to 60 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a carving board, cover loosely with aluminum foil and let rest for 10 minutes.
- 5 Meanwhile, place the roasting pan, with the drippings, over medium-high heat and skim off the surface fat. Add the stock and deglaze the pan, stirring with a wooden spoon to scrape up the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Bring the liquid to a boil and cook until reduced by half, about 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- 6 Carve the chicken and arrange on a warmed platter. Sprinkle with the cilantro. Drizzle the pan sauce over the chicken and garnish with the lime slices. Serve immediately.
- 7 Serves 4.