Grilled Cheese with Marinated Onions and Whole Grain Mustard Sandwich. Kick up your classic grilled cheese a few notches by adding marinated onions to your sandwich.
Grilled Cheese, Yellow Onions, Champagne Vinegar, Sourdough Bread, Gruyere Cheese
Recipe Courtesy of Cooking.com.
Makes 4 sandwiches
Facts per Serving
Calories: 537 Fat, Total: 36g Carbohydrates, Total: 31g
Cholesterol: 93mg Sodium: 1204mg Protein: 22g
Fiber: 3g % Cal. from Fat: 60% % Cal. from Carbs: 23%
- FOR MARINATED ONIONS: 2 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Champagne vinegar
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- I tablespoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped chives
- FOR SANDWICHES: 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 8 slices fresh sourdough bread
- 8 to 12 ounces Gruyere cheese, sliced 1/16 inch thick
- 1 FOR THE MARINATED ONIONS: Rinse onions under cold water to reduce their sharpness.
- 2 Drain and place onions in medium bowl. Toss onions with oil, vinegar, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- 3 Marinate at room temperature 15 minutes. Stir in chives.
- 4 FOR THE SANDWICHES: Spread 1/2 tablespoon butter over one side of each bread slice.
- 5 Place 4 bread slices, buttered side down on work surface. Spread 1 tablespoon mustard over each bread slice. Divide half of cheese among bread slices. Spoon 3 tablespoons marinated onions over cheese, spreading evenly. Top with remaining cheese, then with remaining 4 bread slices, buttered side up.
- 6 Heat griddle or cast iron skillet over medium heat. If using a griddle, cook sandwiches until bottom is golden brown and cheese is melted, about 3 minutes per side. If using a cast iron skillet, cook sandwiches until golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- 7 Turn sandwiches over, then place skillet in 400º F. oven, until golden brown on bottom and cheese is melted, about 5 minutes. Serve immediately.