These coconut bars are simply delicious. Like liquid caramel filled pecan pies in bite size form. Wonderfully indulgent!
- For crust:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- For topping:
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- 2 Line an 8-inch square baking pan with foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- 3 Cream 1/2 cup butter till fluffy.
- 4 Gradually add 1/2 cup brown sugar and beat until smooth.
- 5 Stir in flour.
- 6 Press this mixture into bottom of prepared pan; bake at 375 degrees F for 20 minutes or until golden.
- 7 While crust is baking, beat eggs with 1 cup brown sugar until smooth.
- 8 Stir in vanilla and walnuts.
- 9 Toss coconut with flour and salt and add to egg mixture.
- 10 Stir till combined.
- 11 Pour this topping mixture over hot baked crust and smooth with a spatula.
- 12 Return pan to oven and bake for an additional 20 minutes or until topping set and golden brown.
- 13 Cool pan on rack.
- 14 When completely cool, lift foil sling out of pan and place on cutting board.
- 15 Gently peel away from sides and use a spatula to separate from bottom.
- 16 Discard foil.
- 17 Cut cookies into bars using a large chef's knife.
- 18 Store in an airtight container.