Recipe Courtesy of Cooking.com.
A delicate light-textured cake. To measure the flour accurately, sift some flour into a bowl. Spoon the sifted flour into a 1 cup measure so cup is overflowing. Stand the edge of a ruler on top of
cup and sweep away the extra flour; do this twice.
Makes 10 servings
Facts per Serving
Calories: 481 Fat, Total: 22g Carbohydrates, Total: 65g
Cholesterol: 149mg Sodium: 348mg Protein: 8g
Fiber: 1g % Cal. from Fat: 41% % Cal. from Carbs: 54%
Cooking.com Tip: Sifting the flour is an important step when making a cake. The Oxo flour sifter features an innovative handle design that you shake rather than squeeze, keeping your hand from cramping. This sifter also comes with a lid for the top and bottom to keep your cupboards free of flour.
- 1 cup flaked sweetened coconut (about 3 ounces)
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 7 large egg yolks
- 7 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Fresh cranberries (optional)
- Fresh mint (optional)
- COCONUT-CRANBERRY SORBET: One 15-ounce can Cream of Coconut (such as Coco Lopez)
- One 13.5-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 1/4 cups thawed frozen concentrated cranberry juice cocktail (from two 12-ounce cans)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 Position rack in bottom third of oven and preheat to 325ºF.
- 2 Blend coconut and 1/4 cup sugar in processor until coconut is finely chopped.
- 3 Whisk flour, 3/4 cup sugar, baking powder and salt in large bowl to blend. Make well in center of dry ingredients. Add coconut milk, oil, lemon juice and vanilla to well; then yolks. Whisk all ingredients until very smooth. Fold coconut mixture from processor into yolk mixture.
- 4 Using electric mixer, beat whites and cream of tartar in another large bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining 1 cup sugar; beat until whites are stiff but not dry. Fold large spoonful of whites into yolk mixture to lighten. Fold in remaining whites in 3 additions.
- 5 Transfer batter to 10x4-inch angel food cake pan. Bake cake until golden on top and tester (slender wooden skewer) comes out clean, about 1 hour 5 minutes. Place narrow-neck bottle into center tube of cake pan. Stand bottle upright so cake hangs upside down. Cool cake completely. Cut around cake pan and center tube to loosen cake. Remove cake from pan; place on platter. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and store at room temperature.)
- 6 Cut cake into wedges; place on plates. Spoon sorbet alongside. Garnish with fresh cranberries and mint, if desired.
- 7 COCONUT-CRANBERRY SORBET: Whisk all ingredients in medium bowl to blend.
- 8 Process in ice cream machine according to maufacturer's instructions. Transfer sorbet to container. Cover tightly and freeze up to 3 days.