Deliciously Creamy Peas served in Onion Half Shells are a perfect side dish for Easter and Passover this year! Not only delicious, but visually a work of art.
This recipe and image is courtesy of the National Onion Association.
- 6 medium-size onions, peeled
- 6 cups boiling water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen peas, lightly steamed
- 1 Cook onions uncovered in boiling water to which 1-1/2 teaspoons of salt has been added for 30 minutes, or until almost tender.
- 2 Drain and cut in half from top to bottom. Take out the innermost layers leaving the 2-3 outside layers to form a cup.
- 3 Preheat oven to 400°F. Place onion cups in a baking dish with 2 tablespoons melted butter. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until lightly browned, basting frequently with melted butter.
- 4 Meanwhile, melt remaining tablespoon butter in a saucepan. Blend in flour, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Slowly stir in milk.
- 5 Bring to a boil for two 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add peas until heated thoroughly. To serve, fill onion cups with creamed peas.