Indian Pudding, also referred to as Hasty Pudding, is a traditional New England classic that is popular at the Thanksgiving table. It’s a mouthwatering sweet pudding with a thick consistency that works well with vanilla ice cream. The spices used gives it a kick, but the molasses balances it out with sweetness. Try this for your Thanksgiving spread this year with your slow cooker to bring a change to the traditional pumpkin pie!
Want to see how it’s done? Check it out right here!
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup sorghum molasses
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 3/4 teaspoon ginger, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice, ground
- 2/3 cup raisins or dates, roughly chopped
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 Lightly grease crockpot. Preheat on high for 20 minutes.
- 2 In a medium saucepan, bring milk, cornmeal and salt to a boil, stirring constantly for 5 minutes.
- 3 Cover and simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- 4 In large bowl, whisk together the eggs, brown sugar, molasses, butter and spices.
- 5 Gradually whisk in the hot cornmeal mixture until smooth. Stir in raisins or dates.
- 6 Pour mixture into the crock and cook on high for 2-3 hours or on low for 6-8 hours. Serve with vanilla ice cream.