Talk about a fresh sandwich! Just take the best of your favorite ingredients from the Farmers Market, add a great spread to your bread, dress the vegetables with amazing flavor, and throw in a little protein if you want. It’s like eating a garden, only better. You can make this without the chicken for a beautiful vegetarian meal. This recipe is part of our Top Ten Sandwich & Salad Trends for 2015.
Try this concept in our Farmers Market Salad–a reinvented cobb salad–too!
Sponsorship for this recipe provided by:
- 2 cups Heinz® Ranch dressing for marinating
- 8 chicken thighs, marinated, boneless, skinless
- For the cauliflower spread:
- 3 cups cauliflower, stemmed and cut
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, fresh
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, fresh
- 2 tablespoons Italian parsley, fresh chopped
- 1 cup Heinz® Extra Heavy Mayonnaise
- salt and pepper, to taste
- For the sandwich:
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, sliced, grilled
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded, sliced, grilled
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded, sliced, grilled
- 1 zucchini, sliced, grilled
- 1 yellow squash, sliced, grilled
- 1 portabello mushroom, sliced, grilled
- 1 red onion, sliced, grilled
- 8-10 asparagus stalks, trimmed, grilled
- Heinz® Golden Italian Dressing
- Kosher salt and black pepper as needed
- olive oil, as needed
- 1 focaccia round, rosemary, toasted
- 1 To Marinate and Grill Chicken:
- 2 Preheat grill to medium-high.
- 3 Prior to grilling, coat chicken in 2 cups Heinz® Ranch Dressing and set aside while preparing vegetables. Grill until cooked through, about 5-6 minutes per side.
- 4 To Prepare Cauliflower Spread:
- 5 Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 6 Toss cauliflower in olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- 7 Roast for 20 minutes or until slightly golden.
- 8 Let cauliflower cool while combining the remaining ingredients in the bowl of a food processor.
- 9 When cool, add roasted cauliflower and blend until desired consistency.
- 10 To Grill Vegetables:
- 11 Coat all vegetables in Heinz® Golden Italian dressing and season with salt and pepper.
- 12 Place carefully on hot grill and continue until nicely marked and soft.
- 13 To Assemble Sandwich:
- 14 Slice toasted focaccia into four even quarters and then slice each quarter horizontally forming four sandwiches. Spread cauliflower spread generously on each quarter - top and bottom. Top with grilled vegetables and grilled chicken then close with top halves of sandwiches.