Spice up your barbecue by trying some new flavors! Filipino Barbecue Chicken Skewers are marinated overnight in a Banana Ketchup Barbecue sauce and then grilled and re-slathered in the delicious sauce! Coupled with the Fresh Relish Slaw, made with ginger and garlic, this Filipino-style barbecue is exquisite!
Want to see how it’s done? Watch the video here for a how-to!
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 1/2 cups banana sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh ground pepper
- 1/3 cup Coke
- Juice of one lemon and one orange
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup green onions, thinly slice on the bias
- Crispy garlic, as needed (found in Asian grocery stores), optional
- Fresh Pickled Slaw Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- kosher salt, pinch
- 1/2 cup carrots, shredded
- 1/2 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and thin sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 Combine soy sauce, banana ketchup, pepper, Coke, lemon juice, orange juice, garlic, ginger, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl.
- 2 Divide in half, reserve one half for basting. In a large Ziploc, pour the other half in and add the chicken. Massage to cover all the chicken and place in the refrigerator for 12-24 hours.
- 3 Heat the grill to medium-high and thread the chicken pieces onto skewers. Chicken should be touching, but not pressed together on the skewer. If using wood, soak in water for 30 minutes before threading.
- 4 Brush olive oil over the skewers and grill. When the chicken is almost charred, mop on the reserved marinade, turning to coat. Continue cooking till done, about 12 minutes total. Transfer to a serving platter and garnish with green onions and crispy garlic.
- 5 Directions for the Fresh Pickled Slaw: Combine all ingredients in a medium sized bowl and mix well. Hold in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- 6 Serve skewers with fresh made Jasmine rice and pickled slaw