Hearts of Palm is a vegetable harvested from the inner core and growing bud of certain palm trees. This recipe tops the vegetable with a delicious cilantro pesto dressing.
Recipe Courtesy of Cooking.com.
Facts per Serving
Calories: 148 Fat, Total: 10g Carbohydrates, Total: 12g
Cholesterol: 7mg Sodium: 1111mg Protein: 5g
Fiber: 1g % Cal. from Fat: 61% % Cal. from Carbs: 32%
- 1 1/2 pounds hearts of palm
- 2 cloves garlic
- 6 whole black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 head radicchio, washed and dried
- 1/2 cup cilantro pesto
- 8 sprigs fresh cilantro
- CILANTRO PESTO: 1 teaspoon toasted cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 FOR THE HEARTS OF PALM: In a medium sauce pan over medium heat combine the hearts of palm, garlic, black peppercorns, cumin, orange juice, water and salt.
- 2 Bring the mixture to a boil and lower to a simmer for 12 to 15 minutes, until tender. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature. The hearts of palm can be used now or can be refrigerated for 2 to 3 days covered.
- 3 TO PREPARE THE SALAD: Place the radicchio leaves on 6 individual plates. Cut the hearts of palm lengthwise, then stack 4 halves log cabin style on each plate.
- 4 Drizzle each plate with cilantro pesto. Garnish with fresh cilantro.
- 5 TO PREPARE THE PESTO: Place all the ingredients into a blender and blend for 5 seconds on high.