Apples and gingerbread—gingerbread and apples—I can’t think of a more enticing description of a New England winters treat. A perfect blend of flavors even kids will love.
This recipe calls for Gingerbread Cinnamon Rolls. Find that recipe here.
Note: prep time does not include making Gingerbread Cinnamon Rolls.
- 1 batch Gingerbread Cinnamon Rolls (link to recipe above)
- 10 large Granny Smith apples
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 Prepare Gingerbread Cinnamon Rolls as recipe directed, slicing evenly.
- 2 Cut off the tops of each apple, about an inch down. Scoop out core and carefully scrape apple flesh to create a wall of apple flesh that is about a 1/2-inch thick. Place apples on a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet, walled baking pan or casserole dish.
- 3 Take a cinnamon roll slice and cut in half. With your fingertips, push this half-moon roll together to create a round cinnamon roll again, this time it will be half the size of the original.
- 4 Place in prepared apple and continue until all apples are filled. Place any remaining cinnamon roll as is on prepared baking pan and bake separately.
- 5 Bake apples for 30-35 minutes, or until the apple gives when lightly, and carefully, squeezed.