Glazed Bourbon Orange Pound Cake with Apricot-Orange Sauce Recipe
The bourbon heightens the orange and apricot flavors of the cake, rather than making the cake taste of alcohol.
Facts per Serving
Calories: 591 Fat, Total: 21g Carbohydrates, Total: 92g
Cholesterol: 156mg Sodium: 439mg Protein: 6g
Fiber: 2g % Cal. from Fat: 32% % Cal. from Carbs: 62%
Tip: Sifting the flour is an important step when making a cake because it helps your cake rise evenly. The Oxo flour sifter features an innovative handle design that you shake rather than squeeze, keeping your hand from cramping. This sifter also comes with a lid for the top and bottom to keep your cupboards free of flour.
Recipe Courtesy of Cooking.com.
- FOR CAKE: 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cups (2 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 large eggs
- 1/3 cup bourbon
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- FOR GLAZE AND SAUCE: 2 1/2 cups apricot jam
- 1/2 vanilla bean, halved lengthwise
- 5 tablespoons orange juice
- 3 tablespoons bourbon
- 1 FOR CAKE: Preheat oven to 350ºF. Butter 9-inch-diameter cake pan with 2-inch high sides. Line bottom of cake pan with parchment paper; butter paper.
- 2 Using electric stand mixer and paddle attachment, beat sugar, butter, orange zest and salt in large bowl on medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time. Gradually beat in bourbon. Add flour and beat just until blended. Transfer batter to prepared pan.
- 3 Bake until tester inserted into center of cake comes out clean, about 50 minutes. Transfer pan to cooling rack.
- 4 Meanwhile, combine jam and vanilla bean in heavy small saucepan. Melt jam. Strain. Cool completely. Stir in orange juice and bourbon. Pour 1/2 cup glaze over cake, let stand 5 minutes. Pour another 1/2 cup glaze over cake. Cool 10 minutes. Turn cake out onto rack. Place cake right side up on rack and cool cake completely.
- 5 Cut cake into wedges. Transfer cake wedges to plates. Drizzle remaining sauce over and around cake and serve.