Enjoy this recipe for Good Old Fashioned Cinder Gingerbread Cake.
The precursor to gingerbread men, gingerbread has been around longer in New England than any other cake. The aroma wafting through your home simply brings out the serenity and joy of the Holidays. Adding apple cider is the perfect ingredient in every, joyful mouthful.
- As needed nonstick cooking spray
- 2-1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons each ginger and cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup boiling apple cider, apple juice or water
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, cut into pats
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 Preheat oven to 350-degrees F. Heavily coat a 9-inch square pan with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- 2 In a large bowl, blend flour, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon and baking soda well; set aside.
- 3 In a medium saucepan, bring cider, molasses, sugar and butter to a boil over medium high heat, whisking well. Once boiling, and the butter has completely melted, remove from heat to carefully and slowly add to flour mixture, beating with an electric mixer until smooth. Beat in egg and vanilla very well.
- 4 Pour into prepared pan and bake 35-40 minutes, or until it bounces back in the middle when touched.