Brighten winter days with this refreshing salad, which makes a wonderful beginning to a meal. Walnut oil lends a subtle nutty taste to the vinaigrette, although you can substitute a more neutral oil such as grapeseed.
Recipe courtesy of Williams-Sonoma
- 2 Tbs. Champagne vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp. finely grated grapefruit zest
- 2 Tbs. fresh grapefruit juice
- 1 Tbs. finely chopped shallot
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup (2 fl. oz./60 ml) walnut oil or grapeseed oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 10 oz. (315 g) mâche
- 1 small fennel bulb, trimmed, cored and very thinly sliced
- 2 ruby red grapefruits, peeled and segmented
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled and sliced
- 1 In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, grapefruit zest, grapefruit juice, shallot, sugar and mustard. Slowly whisk in the walnut oil. Season the vinaigrette with salt and pepper.
- 2 In a large bowl, toss together the mâche, fennel, grapefruit segments and vinaigrette to taste. Divide among 4 individual bowls and top with the avocado slices. Serve immediately.