One of the biggest challenges in using a food processor to make Potato Latkes is not to turn it into hash browns; It’s all about convenience, without losing tradition.
So, for no more blood, sweat, and tears, try these grate techniques to easily and quickly make this traditional Potato Latke recipe!
- 1 1/4 lb of potatoes or about 4 medium potatoes
- 1 small-medium onion
- 1 clove of peeled garlic
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup of Matzo Meal or flour
- 3/4 teaspoon of sea salt or kosher salt
- Pepper to taste
- Vegetable or Canola Oil
- Sour Cream and/or Applesauce for topping
- 1 Preheat oven to 200 degrees (for keeping latkes warm).
- 2 Slice potatoes in long chunks. Insert shredding blade into Food Processor. Peel potatoes and soak in a large bowl of cold water.
- 3 Cut onion into long chunks and set aside.
- 4 Crush up vitamin C tablet into a small bowl (can use a mortar and pestle). Add 1 TB of water and mix well.
- 5 Insert potato slices into the tube of Food Processor and shred. Mix the crushed vitamin C tablet to shredded potatoes in a separate bowl.
- 6 Replace shredding blade with the main chopping blade. Place shredded potatoes back into Food Processor. Add in onions and garlic to the Food Processor. Pulse several times until consistency is on the thick-side (like cottage cheese texture). Then put an egg, Matzo Meal, salt, and pepper in a large bowl with the potato/onion/garlic mixture. Mix it all together.
- 7 Pour about ¼ inch of oil into the large frying pan(s). Heat on high for about a 1-2 minutes and lower as needed. Add a large spoonful of Latke batter into the hot pan in a mound shape. Wait about 60 seconds and press down gently with a spatula to flatten.
- 8 When edges of the pancake start to brown, flip over. Remove Latkes when they are cooked and place on a large cookie sheet pan.
- 9 After you have fried all the Latkes, place in oven to stay warm and serve hot.
- 10 Top with Sour Cream or Applesauce.