The Mediterranean countries are all olive-oil producers, and each country, even each region within a country, has its own style of oil. Oils from Greece tend to be rich yet mellow. This is a marvelous, mellow salad.
Recipe courtesy of Williams-Sonoma
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 green bell pepper
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 2 cucumbers
- 2 red onions
- 1/2 pound feta cheese
- garlic clove
- 3⁄4 cup Kalamata olives
- 6 anchovy fillets (optional)
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup fruity extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Seed the bell peppers and cut them into 1-inch chunks. Stem the cherry tomatoes and halve one-half of them, leaving the others whole. Peel and thickly slice the cucumbers, and thinly slice the red onions.
- 2 Cut the feta cheese into 1-inch cubes. Crush and mince the garlic clove.
- 3 In a large bowl, combine the bell peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, feta cheese, olives, anchovies and capers and toss together.
- 4 In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, garlic, dill, oregano, salt and pepper. While whisking, slowly drizzle in the olive oil to make a thick dressing.
- 5 Pour the dressing over the salad, toss and serve immediately.
- 6 VARIATION TIPS: For a more formal presentation, arrange the bell peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, feta cheese, olives and anchovies on a platter. Sprinkle the capers over all the ingredients and pour the dressing over the top. Or, try sliced large tomatoes instead of cherry tomatoes. Line the platter with lettuce leaves or young spinach leaves to make a bed for the other ingredients.