Grilled Beef Filets with Caramelized Shallots Recipe. Tender, sweet-tasting shallots are delicious paired with juicy grilled beef filets.
Recipe courtesy of Williams-Sonoma
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 pound shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 beef filets, each about 8 ounces
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed or olive oil
- 1 Position a rack in the center of an oven and preheat to 375°F.
- 2 In an ovenproof sauté pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the shallots and sauté, stirring occasionally, until tender and golden, 15 to 18 minutes.
- 3 Add the broth, vinegar, cream, thyme, salt and pepper, stir to mix and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until nearly all of the liquid has evaporated, 6 to 8 minutes more.
- 4 Transfer the pan to the oven and bake until the shallots are browned and a crust has formed on the top, about 45 minutes.
- 5 Meanwhile, preheat a cast-iron grill pan over medium-high heat. Season the filets with salt and pepper and brush both sides with the oil. Grill the filets until charred and lightly springy when pressed with your finger, 3 to 4 minutes per side for rare to medium-rare, or until done to your liking.
- 6 Let the filets rest about 5 minutes before serving and serve the shallots alongside.