Fire up your grill and make a satisfying grilled eggplant recipe for dinner. Inspired by the simple joy that great food can bring, Frankie Harvey is The Elegant Gourmet. Frankie has been traveling to explore new cuisines and to meet chefs, restaurateurs, food bloggers, and foodies of all kinds to share her ever growing passion for food and wine.
- 2 large globe eggplants
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 12 oz. Feta cheese, crumbled
- Zest of 1 lemon, plus lemon juice for drizzling
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill or parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Diced red onion and green onion, for garnish
- Freshly cracked pepper
- 1 Preheat grill to medium.
- 2 Slice eggplants lengthwise into 1/4 inch slices.
- 3 In large bowl, soak slices in heavily salted ice water for 20 to 30 minutes.
- 4 Remove, and pat thoroughly dry with paper towels.
- 5 Brush both sides of slices with olive oil, and season with salt.
- 6 Oil grill grates.
- 7 Grill slices 4 to 5 minutes per side, turning only once.
- 8 Remove from heat, and place in covered dish to steam and cool to room temperature, about 20 minutes.
- 9 In small bowl, toss crumbled feta with 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil, lemon zest, red pepper flakes, dill/parsley, and mint.
- 10 Place about 2 tablespoons of feta mixture along short end of eggplant slice, and roll up tightly to enclose. Repeat with remaining slices.
- 11 Arrange rolls, seam side down, on a serving platter or individual plates.
- 12 Drizzle with olive oil and fresh lemon juice.
- 13 Garnish with red onion and green onion.
- 14 Serve at room temperature.