This New Orleans-inspired appetizer features shucked oysters-on-the-half-shell topped with spicy lemon garlic butter and buttery seasoned Japanese breadcrumbs. The oysters are grilled over high heat, layered on a baking sheet lined with hot rock salt.
Why try? If you’re an oyster aficionado, you’re going to really love this one–it’s over the top.
Recipe courtesy of Plugrá®
- SPICY LEMON GARLIC BUTTER:
- 8 ounces Plugrá European-Style Butter, unsalted, softened
- 1 tablespoon flat leaf parsley, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons flake sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- BREADCRUMB TOPPING:
- 1/2 tablespoon Plugrá European-Style Butter, unsalted, melted
- 1/2 cup Japanese breadcrumbs
- rock salt, as needed
- 24 fresh shucked oysters in the half shell
- 8 fresh lemon wedges
- 1 SPICY LEMON GARLIC BUTTER: Combine softened Plugrá Butter, parsley, lemon zest, cayenne pepper sauce, garlic, lemon juice, sea salt and black pepper in a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Pulse until blended.
- 2 Spoon onto parchment paper in a log shape. Roll closed, twisting edges of parchment paper to form a tight log. Refrigerate until firm.
- 4 BREADCRUMB TOPPING: Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 5 Combine melted Plugrá Butter and breadcrumbs in a small bowl and stir until blended; sprinkle evenly on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 5 to 8 minutes or until golden brown; reserve.
- 7 ASSEMBLY: Preheat barbecue grill (high heat).
- 8 Spread a 1/2-inch thick layer of rock salt on a large rimmed baking sheet or large disposable aluminum baking dish. Place on grill rack and heat for 20 minutes.
- 9 Slice the tendons that hold the oysters to the shells; flip oysters over in the shell, smooth side up.
- 10 Transfer hot rock salt-lined baking sheet from grill to heat proof cutting board; carefully nestle the oysters in the hot rock salt to keep from tipping. Top each oyster with 1 slice of spicy lemon garlic butter.
- 11 Transfer baking sheet with oysters to grill; heat for 6 to 10 minutes, or until oysters are bubbling around outer edges; sprinkle 1 teaspoon breadcrumb topping over each oyster.
- 12 Remove baking sheet from grill. Carefully transfer grilled oysters to serving platter lined with rock salt. Garnish platter with lemon wedges. Serve hot.