Recipe Courtesy of Cooking.com.
For meat lovers, you can hardly go wrong grilling a steak. And if you add such manly complements as mushrooms, bourbon and bacon, well, you’ll make your dinner guests very happy indeed. Aged prime beef are flavorful and tender. Boneless steaks lay flat on the grill, while thick ones take longer to cook than thin ones, helping to develop a charred and tasty crust. You may wish to serve each person their own, entire steak (if so, double the quantity below) but in these modern times, half that much meat, sliced, arranged and topped with the rich and delicious sauce, is more than generous. Start this feast with a classic Caesar salad and accompany the steak with mashed potatoes and creamed spinach.
Facts per Serving
Calories: 274 Fat, Total: 22g Carbohydrates, Total: 6g
Cholesterol: 38mg Sodium: 204mg Protein: 6g
Fiber: 0g % Cal. from Fat: 72% % Cal. from Carbs: 9%
Cooking.com Tip: Mushrooms are like sponges in that they absorb water. To clean, brush them with a damp paper towel or a mushroom brush. The bristles remove the dirt without damaging delicate mushrooms.
Norpro 4-pc. Vegetable Brush Set
Snow River 18×14 Carving Board with Gripping Ring
- 6 thickly-sliced bacon strips, chopped
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 pounds white mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup bourbon
- 2/3 cup canned reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 3 New York strip steaks, about 1 1/2 inch thick (about 2 1/2 pounds total)
- 1 Heat heavy large saute pan over medium heat. Add bacon and saute until almost crisp, about 8 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels. Discard drippings (do not clean skillet).
- 2 Melt butter in same saute pan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cover and cook until mushrooms render juices, stirring occasionally, about 6 minutes. Stir garlic and reserved bacon into mushrooms. Increase heat to high and simmer uncovered until liquid evaporates and mushrooms begin to brown, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle flour over mushrooms; stir until flour dissolves. Add bourbon and simmer uncovered until most of bourbon has evaporated, about 2 minutes. Stir in broth and cream. Season sauce generously with pepper. Simmer until sauce thickens slightly, stirring often, about 2 minutes. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper.
- 3 DO-AHEAD TIP: Sauce can be prepared up to 1 hour ahead. Rewarm over low heat before using.
- 4 Meanwhile, prepare barbecue (medium-high heat) and position rack about 6 inches above heat source. Arrange steaks on rack. Cover and grill to desired doneness, turning once, about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare.
- 5 Let steaks rest 5 minutes on cutting board. Cut steaks across grain and at slight angle into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Arrange slices on warm plates. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon mushroom mixture over steak and serve