Making pastry may seem intimidating, but it’s really a breeze, especially if you have a food processor. When you make your own pastry you can control the amount of fat and flour you use. Remember that the pastry is just the canvas . . . it’s what goes inside that makes it interesting. Roll the pastry as thin as you can and always remember to refrigerate it beforehand.
- 1 3/4 cups wholemeal plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup corn oil
- 1/2 cup cold water
- pinch salt
- 1 Preheat the oven to 350F.
- 2 Mix the flour, baking powder and salt together put in a food processor.
- 3 Mix in the corn oil using the dough attachment then slowly add the cold water until a dough forms.
- 4 Put the dough in a plastic bag and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- 5 Roll out the pastry evenly and line a lightly oiled 8-inch flan dish.
- 6 Prick the pastry with a fork, cover with foil and weight with dried beans, then bake in the center of the oven for 15 minutes.
- 7 Remove the weights and foil and bake the pastry for another five minutes.
- 8 Set aside to cool.
- 9 The pastry is now ready to receive a delicious filling. If you're not using the pastry shell immediately, it will freeze for up to 3 months.