Chef Ace Champion shows you how to create Heath Rum Caribbean Glazed Carrots. The Jamaican seasoning adds a little kick to balance the sweetness. You can learn more about Heath Rum, made in Wisconsin, here.
- 1 pound baby carrots
- 1/4 cup dark rum (like Heath)
- pinch cinnamon (to sprinkle over flambé (optional)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- To taste Jamaican Seasoning
- Sprinkle freshly chopped chives or parsley as a garnish
- 1 Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over high heat. Add carrots in two batches, season with Jamaican seasoning then cook for 60-90 seconds each batch.
- 2 Remove from skillet and drain excess butter on a paper-towel covered plate.
- 3 Pour in rum over low heat.
- 4 Reduce heat to medium, add remaining butter. When butter melts, sprinkle brown sugar over the top. Stir together, then add carrots to skillet and cook for about 3 minutes or until the sauce is thickened and bonded well with the carrots.
- 5 If you prefer your carrots soft in the center, continue cooking until carrots are done and glaze is thick, about 5 more minutes.
- 6 Pour onto a platter and serve immediately. Sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley or chives if desired.