Honey Cake Recipe – This recipe is from Chef Steven Weintraub, Executive Chef of Borenstein Caterers. It’s his special recipe for cakes that were served on EL AL flights in celebration of the Jewish New Year in 2009.
To see our story about the El Al flights, click here.
- 1 cup honey
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 whole eggs
- 1 cup of coffee, black and room temperature
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 fresh orange, grated fine (include juice pulp and skin)
- 4 - 4 ½ cups of flour (adjust flour amount to ensure mixture is moderately loose)
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- A pinch of salt (1/8 tsp)
- 1 cup of raisins
- 1 Mix honey, sugar, eggs, coffee, oil and orange thoroughly.
- 2 In a separate bowl, sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- 3 Slowly add dry mixture into liquid mixture. Blend well.
- 4 Fold in raisins.
- 5 Pour mixture into a 9 x 13 greased baking pan or into a 36 muffin tin.
- 6 Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 1 hour. After 45 minutes of cooking, check periodically. Let cool on a wire rack.