What’s better than a homemade sugar cookie to bring back a childhood memory from the past? It’s a great recipe for the youngsters in the family to create a treat for Santa or as a holidays gift for family and friends. Just have plenty of milk on hand!
- 2 1/4 cup sifted all-purpose flour (extra for rolling)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- Colored sugars, sprinkles, or icing
- 1 Sift flour, salt, and baking powder together.
- 2 Cream shortening and sugar together, then the beaten eggs, vanilla and lemon zest, mixing well.
- 3 Add sifted flour mixture and milk and mix well.
- 4 Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- 5 On a floured board roll out in a traditional method and, using cookie cutters dipped in flour, cut to desired shapes.
- 6 Place on parchment paper lined pans, and decorate with colored sugars and sprinkles, pressing into the dough.
- 7 Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes.