Recipe courtesy of Williams-Sonoma. Adapted from New Healthy Kitchen Series, “Starters”, by Georgeanne Brennan (Simon & Schuster, 2006).
Rich in antioxidants that protect the brain and memory, blue and purple fruits and vegetables are easily incorporated into daily cooking, as you’ll discover with this grilled eggplant. Serve it alongside other grilled vegetables as part of an antipasto platter.
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 globe eggplants
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 Build a hot fire in a grill or preheat a gas grill to 400°F. Rub the grill grate with 1 teaspoon of the olive oil.
- 2 Cut the eggplants lengthwise in slices 1/2 inch thick. Brush both sides with olive oil and season with the salt and pepper. Grill the eggplant until golden brown and crisp, 6 to 7 minutes. Turn and grill until golden brown and crisp on the other side, about 4 minutes more. Transfer the eggplant to a platter and set aside.
- 3 Put the remaining olive oil in a shallow baking dish and add the parsley, thyme, vinegar and garlic. Add the warm eggplant slices and let stand for 1 hour, then turn and let stand for 1 hour more. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week. Serve at room temperature.
- 4 Serves 4.