Don’t be fooled, you do not have to use raw, traditional, ingredients for your roll to be considered sushi – experimenting with non-traditional ingredients is the spice of life!
In this sushi roll, Chef Ace Champion uses a savory risotto stuffed with oven roasted chicken, asparagus, and mixed wild mushrooms to create an Italian Sushi Roll that’s paired with a Spicy Japanese Marsala Sauce.
Want to see how it’s done? We have the how-to video right here!
For the Italian Roll
- 4 Nori sheets (seaweed) or soy wrappers
- 2 cups cooked risotto rice
- Avocado oil, as needed
- 4 whole asparagus
- 1/2 cup portabello mushrooms
- 1/2 cup shitake mushrooms
- 8 slices roasted chicken or duck breast
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons black sesame seeds
- Creole seasoning, to taste
For the Marsala Sauce
- 1 1/4 cup Marsala wine, reduced by half
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream, reduced until thickened
- 1-2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon brandy, optional
- Wasabi paste, as needed
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha sauce (or to taste)
For the Roll
- 1 In a small skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. Add the sliced mushrooms of both and sauté lightly for about 1 ½ minutes. Set aside. In a medium skillet big enough to fit the whole asparagus in, add about 1 tablespoon of butter or Avocado oil. Add the asparagus and sauté for about 1 to 2 minutes stirring often with tongs. Add the garlic and toss for about another minute until the asparagus are nice and tender but with a slight crunch. Set aside until ready.
- 2 Meanwhile, cover a bamboo mat with plastic wrap. Place a sheet of nori on top centered. With water-moistened hands, spread ½ cup of the cooked rice evenly on top of the nori sheet. Press firmly. Leaving the plastic wrap in place on the mat, turn the sushi layer over so that the seaweed faces up and the rice faces down.
- 3 Arrange 2 chicken slices in the center of the sheet then add the, asparagus on one side and the mixed mushrooms on the other side of the chicken, so the ingredients form a neat narrow row that aligns with the edge of the nori square closest to you. Roll the bamboo mat forward (making sure the plastic wrap stays with the mat), pressing the ingredients inside the cylinder-shaped sushi. Press the bamboo mat firmly with both hands to shape the sushi, then remove the mat. Repeat the process with remaining ingredients to make three more rolls.
- 4 Cut the sushi rolls into 1 inch rounds with a sharp serrated knife moistened with water and whipped every cut. Arrange on a plate in a unique way and top with sauce.
For the Marsala Sauce
- 1 Using a medium saucepan over medium-high heat add the wine and reduce by half. Add the cream and allow cooking until the sauce starts to thicken. About 4 to 5 minutes.
- 2 Add the brandy and butter and continue cooking until the sauce is like a smooth Alfrado. Add the Sriracha 1 tablespoon at a time and taste as you add to get the right heat you want.