Lamb is the typical meat dish in Australia. This recipe gives lamb a Cuban flair.
Recipe courtesy of OliVaylle and submitted by Conchita De Moya. OliVaylle Olive Nectar™ is extra virgin olive oil from Australia.
- 2 lbs lamb cut into 1 1/2 to 2 inch cubes
- 1 cup of lime juice
- 1/2 cup of flour
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup of OliVaylle Olive Nectar
- 1 teaspoon hot paprika
- 1 pound slab bacon diced into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 cup of beer or dry sherry
- 1 1/2 onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1 large green bell pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 In a large bowl marinate the lamb with the lime juice and salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours.
- 2 Drain and dry the lamb and reserve the marinade. Spread the flour in a flat dish, then roll the lamb chunks over the flour.
- 3 In a large (preferably iron) casserole, heat the oil over medium heat until the fragrance of the oil delights your sense of smell. Then add the lamb to the oil and turn until all sides are browned. Transfer to plate and save.
- 4 Cook the bacon in the same casserole, when browned (about 4 minutes) add the diced onion, bell pepper and garlic, reduce heat to low and cook, stirring for about 6 minutes.
- 5 Add the lamb and the reserved marinade, then immediately add the sherry or beer, cumin seeds, hot paprika and oregano. Simmer for 1 1/2 hours or until the lamb is tender.
- 6 Serve over onion rice. Garnish with finely chopped fresh parsley to taste.