Linzer Cookies Recipe. Linzer Cookies are two cookies sandwiched together with a layer of preserves or jam. The top cookie, dusted with confectioners sugar has a cutout so the preserves are visible.
Recipe courtesy of Williams-Sonoma
- 1 cup hazelnuts or slivered almonds, toasted and skinned
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange or lemon zest
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- About 1/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
- Confectioners' sugar for dusting
- 1 In a food processor, finely grind the hazelnuts using short pulses. Set aside.
- 2 In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the butter on high speed until fluffy and pale yellow.
- 3 Add the granulated sugar and continue beating until combined. Reduce the speed to low. Add the egg yolk, orange zest, vanilla and almond extract and beat until blended.
- 4 Sift together the flour, cinnamon and salt into another bowl. Add the ground hazelnuts and stir to blend. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and beat on low speed or stir with a wooden spoon until blended.
- 5 The dough should be soft. Turn the dough out onto a work surface, divide into 4 equal portions and wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour.
- 6 Preheat an oven to 350F. Lightly grease 2 baking sheets or line with parchment paper.
- 7 Remove 1 portion of the dough at a time from the refrigerator, place between 2 sheets of waxed paper and roll out 1/4 inch thick. Using a cookie cutter about 2 1/2 inches in diameter, cut out the cookies. Using a 1 1/4-inch cutter, cut a hole in the center of half of the cookies. Repeat with the remaining portions of dough, then reroll the dough scraps as needed to make 24 cutouts total, cutting holes in half of them. If the dough becomes sticky, wrap it in plastic wrap and freeze for 10 minutes before rolling out.
- 8 Using a thin spatula, carefully transfer the cookies to the prepared baking sheets. Bake until the cookies are firm to the touch, about 12 minutes. Transfer the baking sheets to wire racks. Loosen the cookies with the spatula, but leave the cookies on the sheets until thoroughly cooled.
- 9 To assemble, spread the solid cookies with a thin layer (about 1 teaspoon) of raspberry jam to within about 1/4 inch of the edges. Dust the cutout cookies generously with confectioners' sugar. Top the solid cookies with the cutout cookies.