Nothing says leftovers like a little turkey and dressing smothered in fresh gravy!
See our leftovers story here.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 6 tablespoons all purpose flour
- Coarse ground black pepper
- 1 Make Turkey Base - In a large sauce pan over medium-high heat, sauté onions in 4 tablespoons of butter cooking 5-8 minutes or until translucent. Slowly add chicken broth and herbs. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes. The base can be made in advance and stored in refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- 2 Make Roux - Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a large sauce over medium heat. Whisk in flour. Whisking constantly, cook about 4 minutes or until honey colored. Add broth slowly bringing it to a simmer.
- 3 After the turkey is done save the drippings in the pan. Skim off most of the fat. While gravy is warming over medium heat, add juices from the turkey and season with salt and pepper. Simmer until it thickens.