This vegan and grain-free Mexican Style Oaxacan Bowl is chock full of flavor and good-for-you ingredients.
Toasted chipotle pecans add a flavorful and nutritious crunch to a bowl full of chipotle sweet potatoes, roasted sweet peppers, seasoned black beans and cabbage slaw.
Recipe and image courtesy of American Pecan Council.
For the Spice Rub
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground chipotle (see recipe notes)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the Sheet Pan Ingredients
- 1/2 medium red onion, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 1 medium yam or sweet potato, diced into 3/4-inch cubes, skin on
- 8 baby bell peppers, cut in half (see recipe notes)
- 1/2 cup fresh pecan halves
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1 can unseasoned or seasoned black beans (see recipe notes)
For the Quick Cabbage Slaw
- 1/2 red cabbage, shredded (about 2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, scallions or both
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- Salt and lime juice, to taste
- Avocado, cilantro, scallions, cabbage slaw
- 1 Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- 2 In a small bowl, mix cumin, chipotle and salt together in a small bowl.
Roasted the sheet pan ingredients:
- 1 Line a sheet pan with parchment paper and place onion, sweet potato and peppers on top. Drizzle onion and potato with a little olive oil and sprinkle generously with the spice mix, reserving 1 teaspoon for the pecans. Toss to coat all sides well. Place in the oven for 20 to 30 minutes, tossing again halfway through.
- 2 On another smaller parchment-lined pan, toss the pecans with 2 teaspoons maple syrup and the remaining 1 teaspoon of the spice mix. Place in the oven for 10 to 12 minutes, until lightly browned. Remove pan from the oven and give the pecans a quick toss to loosen them up so they’re easier to remove once cooled.
- 3 If seasoning the beans (see recipe notes below), do so now. Then in a small pot over low heat, heat the seasoned or unseasoned beans.
Meanwhile Make the Slaw:
- 1 Finely chop or shred the cabbage and place in a medium bowl with the rest of the ingredients, toss. Taste, adjust lime and salt.
- 2 When the veggies are fork tender, assemble the bowls. Divide the beans among 2 to 3 bowls. Divide all the veggies, placing them over the beans, and top with slaw and garnishes of your choice.