This is a vegetarian’s dream. Just the grilled vegetables by themselves are fantastic, but with the sauces, they get even tastier.
To keep onions from falling apart on the grill, use toothpicks or skewers to pin the layers together.
This recipe is from The Culinary Institute of America’s cookbook, Grilling: Exciting International Flavors from the World’s Premier Culinary College.
Click here for Italian-Style Sauce recipe.
Click here for Greek-Style Sauce recipe.
Click here for North African-Style Sauce recipe.
Read our Interview with CIA Chef David Kamen, previewing the 2008 Grilling Season.
- 3 artichokes
- 1/2 lemon
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 3 fennel bulbs, trimmed and quartered
- 18 baby carrots, peeled
- 18 asparagus stalks, trimmed
- 3 zucchinis, trimmed and halved lengthwise
- 12 new potatoes, parboiled, halved
- 2 red onions, quartered
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 18 mushrooms, trimmed
- 2 red peppers, cored and quartered
- 2 yellow peppers, cored and quartered
- 1 cup Italian-style Sauce (see Additional Info for recipe link)
- 1 cup Greek-style Sauce (see Additional Info for recipe link)
- 1 cup North African–style Sauce (see Additional Info for recipe link)
- 1 Remove the tough outer leaves from the artichokes. Cut the stem away from the artichoke, leaving about 1 inch of the stem still attached. Cut the artichokes in half and remove the choke. Rub the cut side of the artichoke with the lemon half.
- 2 Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of the salt. Add the artichokes and simmer until tender, about 10 minutes. Remove the artichokes and let cool to room temperature.
- 3 Bring a second large pot of water to a rolling boil. Add 2 teaspoons salt and then, working in batches, add the fennel, carrots, and asparagus, cooking until partially tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain all the cooked vegetables well and let cool slightly. Score the flesh of the zucchini with the tines of a fork.
- 4 Combine the olive oil, garlic, the remaining 1 teaspoon salt, and the pepper in a large bowl. Add all the parcooked vegetables, the zucchini, the potatoes, and the onions, and toss to coat. Marinate the vegetables in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes and up to 4 hours.
- 5 Preheat a gas grill to high. If you are using a charcoal grill, build a fire and let it burn down until the coals are glowing red with a light coating of white ash. Spread the coals in an even bed. Clean the cooking grate.
- 6 Grill all of the vegetables on both sides until tender but not mushy. Place the vegetables on the grill in the following order: red peppers, yellow peppers, zucchini, carrots, fennel, onions, mushrooms, potatoes, asparagus, and artichokes. Grill the vegetables, turning as necessary, until they begin to take on color and are cooked through, about 8 to 12 minutes, depending on the vegetable.
- 7 Arrange the grilled vegetables on a platter and drizzle with the remaining lemon juice. Serve with the 3 sauces at room temperature.