Our Mocha Toffee Bars Recipe are delightful at Christmas and all throughout the year.
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 tablespoons instant espresso powder dissolved in 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate (melt the chocolate!)
- 3/4 cup salted roasted cashews, chopped
- 1 In a bowl with an electric mixer cream the butter, add the brown sugar, and beat the mixture until it is light and fluffy. Beat in the yolk, add the vanilla and the espresso mixture, a little at a time, beating, and beat the mixture until it is combined well.
- 2 Add the salt and the flour, beating, and beat the mixture until is combined well.
- 3 Spread the batter evenly in a jelly-roll pan, 15 1/2 by 10 1/2 by 1 inch, and bake it in the middle of a preheated 350° F. oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until it pulls away slightly from the edge of the pan.
- 4 Spread the chocolate, melted, evenly over the baked layer and sprinkle the cashews over it. Let the mixture cool in the pan on a rack, cut it into 48 bars, and chill it for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the chocolate is firm. Makes 48 cookies.