- 3 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 gallon milk
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 grated lemon peel
- 5 eggs
- 1 plain pound cake, crumbled (you can substitute with either muffins or sweet bread)
- 1 Place two cups of sugar in a small pot over low heat until it becomes liquid. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- 1 In a large pot, add milk, 1 cup of sugar, cinnamon, and lemon peel. Cook until the mixture boils, remove from heat and strain into another bowl.
- 2 In another bowl, beat the eggs adding the strained milk mixture, blending well with the crumbled cake. Once these ingredients are well mixed, place the melted caramel in a regular baking dish, wait for it to cool, then add the remaining mixture and cook in a 350°F oven for about 40 minutes or a little more.
- 3 Test by piercing the pudding with a toothpick, knife, etc. If the knife comes out dry, then the bread pudding is ready.