These pitas pack the crunch with pistachios in the mix.
This recipe courtesy of http://www.recipegoldmine.com and California Pistachio Commission.
Nutritional Analysis Amount per Serving: Calories 310; Total Fat (g) 15; Saturated Fat (g) 2; Monounsaturated Fat (g) 5; Cholesterol (mg) – Sodium (mg) 510; Potassium (mg) 470; Total Carbohydrate (g) 37; Dietary Fiber (g) 6; Protein (g) 10.
% Daily Value: Vitamin A 6; Vitamin C 10; Calcium 6; Iron 15; Vitamin E 25; Thiamin 25; Vitamin B-6 20; Folate 20; Phosphorus 15; Magnesium 15; Zinc 6; Copper 15; Selenium 15; Manganese 30.
- For the vegetarian filling: 1 (11 ounce) can Mexicorn, drained
- 2 medium zucchini, diced (1/2 pound)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons canned diced green chiles (or jalapenos, if preferred)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped California pistachios
- Cumin Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
- Iceberg lettuce leaves
- 1 large tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 cup canned black beans or red kidney beans
- 4 pita pocket breads
- For the chicken filling: 2 cups shredded cooked or canned chicken
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped California pistachios
- Lime Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
- 4 pita bread rounds
- 1 avocado, peeled, seeded and sliced
- 1/2 cup bottled roasted red pepper or pimiento
- 1 Vegetarian Pitas: Toss corn, zucchini, chiles and 3/4 cup pistachios together with half the Cumin vinaigrette. Warm pita pockets in 350°F oven for about 3 minutes, then halve and fill each half with lettuce, tomato slices and 1/3 cup corn mixture. Add a spoonful of beans to each. Place on plates; drizzle remaining dressing over filling and sprinkle with remaining pistachios.
- 2 Cumin Vinaigrette: Combine 1/4 cup vegetable oil, 1/4 cup cider vinegar, 1 tablespoon sugar and 1 teaspoon cumin seed in measuring cup. Stir vigorously to blend.
- 3 Chicken Pitas: Toss chicken with half the pistachios and enough Lime Vinaigrette to moisten. Warm pita pockets in 350°F oven for about 3 minutes, then halve and fill with chicken mixture. Add jicama, avocado and red pepper. Place on plates; drizzle remaining vinaigrette over filling and sprinkle with remaining pistachios.
- 4 Lime Vinaigrette: Mix 1 cup low-fat or nonfat bottled Italian salad dressing with 1 tablespoon grated lime peel and 2 tablespoons lime juice. Shake to blend.