The Philly Eagles are coming on strong. To celebrate the team’s participation in the NFL Playoffs, the head chefs from the NFL Experience Times Square bring for your consideration, the Philadelphia Eagles Cheese Steak Sandwich.
For the other recipes in this series:
- 1 loaf Italian bread
- 1/2 pound deli roast beef, rare, sliced wafer thin
- 1 white onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced, optional
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons sautéed Pepperoncini
- 1/2 pound provolone cheese, thinly sliced
- As needed extra virgin olive oil for grilling
- As desired salt and black pepper
- Optional marinara sauce or ketchup
- 1 Heat griddle until hot. When hot, cover bottom evenly with olive oil.
- 2 Add the onions, bell pepper, pepperoncini and cook, stirring, until caramelized, which will take about 6 to 8 minutes.
- 3 Add the garlic, salt and pepper, and cook for about 30 seconds. Then, push the mixture off to one side of the griddle.
- 4 Add the meat to the hot part of the griddle. Cook, continuously flipping the meat over and slightly chopping the meat into slightly smaller pieces with 2 spatulas, until the meat is not pink, which should take about 3 minutes.
- 5 Mix the meat and the caramelized onions, bell pepper and pepperoncini together. Top with the cheese to melt.
- 6 If using Italian or French bread, cut the bread ¾ down. Hollow out some of the soft white bread part from inside and place face down on top of the meat and cheese.
- 7 When the cheese is melted, and with 1 or 2 spatulas, flip the sandwiches over to serve.