Popovers Recipes made with unsalted butter, vanilla, and eggs. These muffin-like savories are lightly flavored with vanilla. You can substitute chopped fresh herbs or spices for the vanilla. Purists enjoy popovers seasoned only with salt.
This can make 24 mini or 12 regular popovers.
Recipe Courtesy of Williams-Sonoma. Adapted from The Williamsville Inn, West Stockbridge, Massachusetts.
- 4 cups milk
- 8 eggs
- 3 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Position a rack in the center of an oven, place 2 mini or regular-size popover pans in the oven and preheat to 375 degrees F. Let the pans preheat while you make the batter.
- 2 In a small saucepan over medium heat, heat the milk until just warm to the touch (about 125 degrees F.).
- 3 In a large bowl, using a handhald electric mixer, beat the eggs, flour, butter, vanilla, salt and milk on medium speed until just blended, then beat the batter for 1 minute. Pass the batter trough a chinois or other fine-mesh strainer to remove any lumps.
- 4 Using oven mitts, remove the popover pans from the oven and spray the cups with nonstick cooking spray. Divide the batter among the cups and bake until the popovers are puffed and golden, 40 to 45 minutes. Serve hot.
- 5 Makes 24 mini or 12 regular popovers.