Soft, chewy, and deep golden brown, we use baking soda to “pretzel-fy” these delicious homemade buns that taste bakery fresh! Watch as chef Cari Martens walks you through the few simple steps it takes to create the perfect pretzel bun, a recipe that is sure to make your next sandwich a mouthwatering masterpiece!
Want to see more delicious recipes from 90 Seconds in the Kitchen? Click here!
- 1 cup warm tap water
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 2 1/2 - 3 cups flour, all purpose
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- egg wash, 1 egg beaten with 2 tablespoons water
- Pretzel salt, as needed
- 1 In a large bowl, combine warm water with yeast, let it dissolve then stir.
- 2 Add 2 1/2 cups flour, sugar, and salt. Mix with a spatula until it becomes a floury, shaggy dough.
- 3 Using your hands, knead the dough on a countertop lightly dusted with flour for 5 minutes, adding flour if necessary to reduce stickiness. It will be done when it holds a ball shape and is slightly tacky and soft.
- 4 Place dough in a clean bowl and cover. Place in a warm spot for about an hour or until dough has doubled in size.
- 5 Using a bench scraper, divide the dough into 8 equal pieces.
- 6 Roll each piece into a long skinny rope. Lift the ends and cross, cross one more time into a twist then fold the twist back over the bottom loop to form a pretzel shape.
- 7 Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet, cover loosely and let rise for another 20 minutes.
- 8 Preheat oven to 450°F.
- 9 Boil water and then add baking soda and brown sugar.
- 10 Carefully lower pretzels into the water bath and flip after 30 seconds. Remove and place pretzels on a baking sheet and brush with egg wash and sprinkle with salt.
- 11 Bake 12 to 14 minutes or until deep brown and glossy.