Give this all-time autumn favorite a touch of sophistication with a nutty, crunchy difference.
Why Try? You’re not going to get away with not making a pumpkin pie for the holidays. Why not give it a little makeover this year.
- 2/3 cup coarsely chopped black walnuts, toasted
- 1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
- 1 9-inch refrigerated pie dough disc
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 2 Press crust into pie pan and prick bottom several times with a fork and bake the pastry shell until very lightly browned about 7 minutes.
- 3 In a mixing bowl, beat together the remaining ingredients except the walnuts until smooth. Stir in 1/3 cup walnuts. Pour the mixture into the cooled pastry shell and sprinkle the remaining walnuts over the filling.
- 4 Bake until the filling has set and a knife inserted in the center of the pie comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.