These Pumpkin Spice Bars are another in our series of healthier comfort food recipes for the holidays from the American Diabetes Association. From the newly released Mr. Food Test Kitchen’s Guilt-Free Comfort Favorites (American Diabetes Association, September 2018, ISBN: 978-1-580-40690-1, $22.95).
Pumpkin Spice Bars make a great change-of-pace dessert for your fall holiday spread or potluck. It’s easy to make and take, and it’s full of the flavors of the season!
All recipes posted from this cookbook have been approved by the American Diabetes Association to meet nutritional guidelines.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup canned pure pumpkin
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon confectioners' sugar for sprinkling
- 1 Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2 Coat a 9×13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- 3 In a large bowl, combine all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, sugar, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and baking soda; mix well.
- 4 Add molasses, egg whites, water, and pumpkin; stir until thoroughly mixed. Stir in raisins and walnuts. Spread evenly in baking dish.
- 5 Bake 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool completely, then cut into pieces.
- 6 Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar before serving.