A simple way to make a delicious apple pie like grandma used to make—with a convenient twist. Instead of making the crust from scratch, this Queen Bee Apple Pie recipe, from our friends at the National Honey Board, uses good-quality pre-made pie crust to save time without sacrificing flavor.
The smell of freshly baked apples, topped with walnuts and raisins is delightful!
- 6 cups green apple, pared and sliced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1-1/4 cups cold water
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup honey
- 2 refrigerated 9-inch pie crusts
- 1/4 cup walnuts, coarsley chopped
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1 Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2 Toss together apples and lemon juice in large bowl; set aside.
- 3 In small saucepan, whisk together cold water, cornstarch, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add honey; mix well. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Continue to cook and stir unti mixture thickens and becomes translucent. Pour hot honey mixture over apple mixture; toss to coat evenly.
- 4 Turn apple mixture into pastry-lined 9-inch pie plate. Sprinkle walnuts and raisins over apples. Place second crust over filling. Seal and flute edges. Cut slits in top crust for steam to escape. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely on wire rack.