This Sicilian Sauce has been passed down from generation to generation on the island of Sicily. Those in-the-know use only the freshest locally grown ingredients, cook the dish in the Sicilian tradition. Now, Alfred Zappala is willing to share his family secret with the rest of us!
Tune in to watch You, Me, and Sicily to see Alfred and Eszter pair this sauce with an eggplant Parmesan dish that is out of this world, here!
- 3-4 garlic cloves crushed
- Red pepper ﬂakes
- Black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1 bottle of passata or one large can of tomato sauce
- Fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- Olive oil
- 1 In a skillet drizzle olive oil, garlic, salt, black pepper and red pepper.
- 2 Heat until garlic ﬂavor is released and golden brown, no more than two minutes on medium heat. Be careful not to burn the garlic.
- 3 Empty bottle of passata or tomato sauce in skillet then rinse half the bottle with water and also add to skillet.
- 4 Put the heat on high until the sauce starts to bubble, reduce ﬂame to simmer for 30 minutes.
- 5 Add basil to taste (for us the more the better)
- 6 Add salt, pepper, sugar or olive oil to taste!