What I love about this homemade caramel corn recipe is that you don’t have to stick with the add-ins I have described.
Use all nuts (roughly broken) of your choice, dried fruit of your choice or simply omit them all together and just enjoy crispy, spiced caramel popcorn. I use buttered and salted popcorn because everything just seems to go so well together.
- 2 quarts popcorn, popped, buttered and salted
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
- 1 cup brown sugar, dark or light
- 1/4 cup corn syrup, regular or dark
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon each cinnamon and nutmeg
- 1/2 cup mixed, dried fruit and nuts
- 1 Preheat oven to 250F. Grease a large cookie pan with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- 2 Grease a large bowl with spray and place popcorn in it; set aside.
- 3 In a medium saucepan, melt butter, sugar and corn syrup over medium heat, stirring frequently.
- 4 When everything is melted and well combined, leave it alone and allow it to boil 5 minutes.
- 5 In order to tell if it is ready, dip a spoon into syrup and drop some on a plate. If it is sticky, but not firm, it is ready. Remove from heat and stir in baking soda.
- 6 It will froth up, which is normal. Once it subsides, stir in the vanilla, spices and dried fruit and nuts.
- 7 Drizzle evenly over the popcorn in the prepared bowl and immediately mix until everything is coated.
- 8 Transfer to prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake for 45 minutes, stirring it up every 10 minutes.
- 9 Remove from oven to cool completely on a pan until crunchy.
- 10 Transfer to a large bowl, breaking it up as you are doing so. Serve.