Make these fabulous Texas-style Barbecue Beans to go with our equally fabulous Texas-Style Barbecue Short Ribs!
These delicious beans aren’t molasses sweet, they are thick and garlicky with a savory and sweet edge, thanks to the bacon.
We cooked these over an open flame on the grill, but they could also be made on the stove indoors. Feel free to substitute pinto or black beans, instead of butter beans!
This recipe is courtesy of the chefs at Rattan Direct.
- 2 thin slices bacon
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cans butter beans, drained
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 can tomatoes, diced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 In a saucepan over a stove or barbecue, add the bacon and fry to release the fats.
- 2 Add the onion and cook until softened.
- 3 Add the rest of the ingredients, top up with water and cook over a slow heat, with the lid on, for several hours.
- 4 Remove the lid and continue cooking until the sauce is thick. If using the BBQ for short ribs, place the pan under the meat for the final stages of cooking.
- 5 Serve the Texas barbecue beans hot, with our BBQ short rib recipe.