With Thanksgiving on the horizon, Chef Mareya Ibrahim, the Fit Foodie, author of The Clean Eating Handbook, Celebrity Chef and Eat Cleaner (www.EatCleaner.com) Expert will be sharing several of her delicious holiday makeovers. Besides being lower in calories, her recipes are also gluten and dairy-free.
According to Chef Ibrahim, the average slice of pumpkin pie can weigh in at 350 calories and 13 grams of fat. Her Light Pumpkin Pie Squares get their body from lite organic tofu and weigh in at about half the calories with about 3 grams of fat.
- 1/3 cup gluten-free old fashioned oats
- 8 low-fat gluten-free graham crackers (Try S'moreables, Graham Style Crackers)
- 1 egg white
- 18 ounces extra-firm organic tofu
- 2 cups canned (or cooked) pumpkin
- 1 cup nonfat non-dairy yogurt
- 2 tablespoons organic Stevia sweetener
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon and REAL non-dairy whipped topping
To make the crust:
- 1 Preheat oven to 350°F. In a food processor, combine graham crackers and oats and process to a fine crumb. Add egg whites until well incorporated. In a 9x9-inch non-stick baking pan, press crumbs into bottom and bake for about 8 minutes or until firm to the touch. Remove from oven.
To make filling:
- 1 Place tofu, pumpkin and yogurt in a food processor and process until smooth. Add remaining filling ingredients. Process until well-blended. Pour onto crust and bake for about an hour or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven and chill in freezer until firm.
- 2 Cut into squares and top with whipped topping with a dusting of cinnamon.