The main purpose of the rub is to season the meat while at the same time encouraging the creation of that all-important exterior crust. The crust helps to seal in the juices, keeping the interior moist, while producing perfect color and a crunchy texture.
Recipe courtesy of Kraft
Per Serving: Calories 220, Total fat 10 g, Saturated fat 3 g, Cholesterol 80 mg, Sodium 660 mg, Carbohydrate 3 g, Dietary fiber 1 g, Sugars 2 g, Protein 29 g, Vitamin A 20 %DV, Vitamin C 2 %DV, Calcium 4 %DV, Iron 15 %DV
- 1 bottle (1 ounce) paprika
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 1 frozen whole turkey, thawed (10 pound)
- 1 MIX paprika, sugars and seasonings until well blended.
- 2 RINSE turkey with cold water; pat dry. Rub seasoning mixture evenly onto turkey. Refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- 3 BAKE turkey as directed on package.
- 4 NOTE: Rubbing the turkey with the spice rub at least 15 minutes before cooking helps to intensify the seasoned flavor of the cooked turkey.