An iconic holiday comfort food just got better for you. This vegan version of candied yams uses healthy alternatives to sweeten and enhance the flavor without adding unnecessary ingredients. You might want to wait until after the meal to let everyone know the dish was vegan so you can surprise them after they have committed to telling you how delicious it was!
Check out Michael Alexander from Conscious Living as he prepares this dish and gives helpful hints and tips, here.
- 3.5 lbs of organic yams (sweet potatoes also work, they are, at least in the U.S., one and the same)
- 3 cups of vegan mini marshmallows (our favorite are Dandies, available on Amazon and at most organic markets)
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup of chopped pecans
- 2 Tablespoons of vegan butter (Soy-Free Earth Balance is my go to) and extra for greasing your baking dish
- 1/2 cup of filtered water
- Dash of sea salt
- Dash of nutmeg
- 1 In a large pot, bring 8 Quarts of water (or more) to a boil.
- 2 Drop in yams for about 20 minutes until soft to fork (but not squishy).
- 3 Take yams out and let cool.
- 4 Peel yams (can keep skins to make sea salt yam chips).
- 5 Once peeled, cut the yams in 1/2 lengthwise and 1/2 again lengthwise (so you will have quarters).
- 6 Cut yams into 1-inch slices.
- 7 Put yams in a 9"x13" greased baking dish and set aside.
- 8 In a medium saucepan, melt vegan butter over medium high heat.
- 9 Add brown sugar, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg and 1/2 cup water.
- 10 Whisk together and reduce heat to low once boiling.
- 11 Allow sauce to thicken and cook down for about 10 minutes.
- 12 Pour sauce over the yams in the baking dish.
- 13 Mix well to make sure all the yams are nicely covered with the sauce.
- 14 Bake for 25 minutes at 350 F. At least once while baking (ideally 2-3 times), spoon the sauce over the top of the yams.
- 15 Pull out yams and mix.
- 16 Add the 1/2 cup pecans and mix well.
- 17 Add marshmallows to the top of the yams. Note: the marshmallows will grow.
- 18 Place dish uncovered in 400 F oven for 10-12 minutes until marshmallows are brown and bubbling.
- 19 Serve immediately.