This brownie dessert is perfect for the holidays and features peppermint as the star of the show. Drizzled chocolate and crushed peppermint top this moist and savory brownie, and, what’s more, it’s vegan friendly!
Follow along with Carolyn Scott-Hamilton and Zack Ward from the movie “A Christmas Story” to see this wonderful holiday recipe come to life, here.
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup cocoa
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup melted vegan butter
- 3 egg replacers
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) plus 7 tablespoons vegan butter, divided
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegan heavy cream (we use coconut cream)
- 1 teaspoon pure peppermint extract
- Chocolate Sauce and Topping:
- 12 oz semi-sweet baking chocolate, coarsely chopped
- Crushed peppermint candies, (optional)
- 1 Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2 Prepare brownie mix in a mixer or food processor by starting with dry ingredients first then adding the wet.
- 3 Spread batter in greased foil-lined 15x10x1-inch baking pan.
- 4 Bake 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out almost clean.
- 5 Cool in pan on wire rack.
- 6 Meanwhile, beat confectioners’ sugar, 7 tablespoons of the butter, melted, cream and peppermint extract in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended and smooth.
- 7 Spread evenly over cooled brownie.
- 8 Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- 9 Melt chocolate and remaining 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter in a double boiler until butter is melted.
- 10 Stir until chocolate is completely melted.
- 11 Spread over top of chilled brownie.
- 12 Sprinkle with crushed peppermint candies, if desired.
- 13 Cut into bars.