- 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup carrot, shredded
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 package wonton skins (also called gyoza)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a skillet and add onion, ginger and mushrooms and cook over medium-high heat until vegetables begin to soften. Add cabbage, carrots, pepper, and salt to taste; cook for 2 minutes more. Remove vegetables from heat, drain and add cilantro when cooled. Place a teaspoon of vegetable mixture on one half of each wonton skin. Fold the opposite halves over to make half moon dumplings, keeping the bottoms flat. Press edges firmly together, making sure that they are closed to prevent filling from leaking out. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a nonstick skillet and brown bottoms of dumplings. Add water and immediately cover to steam the dumplings. Cook dumplings until the water has evaporated and the bottom gets crispy again and sticks to the pot.
- 2 Serve warm with soy sauce and vinegar for dipping.