“July is National Horseradish Month and with that comes the perfect opportunity to introduce some sizzle into your menu.” So says The Horseradish Information Council (HIC), and they’ve got the recipes to back that up. The Atlanta-based trade association of horseradish processors encourages horseradish consumption from sun-up to sun-down during this summer month.
Click on any of these three flavorful recipes now playing on The Food Channel, all featuring a dash or more of horseradish:
- Soft Chicken Tacos with Onions, Peppers and Horseradish Sauce
- Cedar Planked Salmon with Asian Flavors
- Classic Cocktail Sauce
Here are other horseradish highlights and trivia from the HIC:
- The 3,000-year-old horseradish plant is known as a dynamite companion to meats and seafood, including beef, chicken, shrimp and more.
- Horseradish offers a special zing that few condiments can measure up to.
- It’s also good for you. In one tablespoon of prepared horseradish, there are zero calories and zero fat. Be sure to review the label of your favorite prepared horseradish for other nutrition information.
The HIC suggests that the next time you’re in your favorite store, grab a jar of horseradish and get creative. You will find that horseradish creates a flavorful kick that can be used in cocktails, dips, marinades, casseroles and more. Take a look at how hot your days and nights can be with horseradish.
Kick Off your Day with a Little Horseradish.
- Dive into a delicious Bloody Mary including horseradish
- Slip a spoonful of prepared horseradish into a skillet of scrambled eggs
- Try a little on your breakfast sausage
Mid-Day Snacking Ahead…
- Fill celery stalks with a mixture of 1 cup mashed avocado and 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish. Sprinkle with paprika. Chill.
- Create your own horseradish sour cream dip, as well as horseradish mayonnaise, horseradish butter and horseradish barbecue sauce. Add just enough horseradish to suit your personal taste.
- For a gourmet appetizer, blend horseradish with softened cream cheese. Spread the mixture on thin slices of rare beef tenderloin and wrap around crisp-tender asparagus spears.
Wrap Up the Evening with an Elegant Dinner or Even a Cookout.
- Spark up beef stroganoff with a dollop or two of horseradish.
- Give corned beef brisket a new tasty tingle with a horseradish-orange glaze: 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish, 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 cup orange marmalade, 1/2 cup mustard.
- Baste ribs on the grill with a zippy combo of 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish, 2 tablespoons dry white wine, 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and 1/2 teaspoon hot mustard.
- Make familiar “comfort foods” even more indulgent. Add horseradish to mashed potatoes, meatloaf, applesauce served with pork roast and sour cream on your baked potato.
The Horseradish Information Council’s key message is that this unique vegetable root, long admired for its effects on beef and seafood, is very versatile. You may vist www.horseradish.org for hundreds of zesty recipe ideas and to download the HIC’s brochure, “Horseradish – The Secret Ingredient.”